Calling for Falcons’ Ambassadors!
- Would you like to be a part of the “Welcoming the Stranger” movement?
- Would you like to connect with LGBT refugees?
- Do you want to share your love of soccer?
The 2017 Board is excited to announce a new Falcons initiative, in partnership with the William Way LGBT Community Center and HIAS PA, to sponsor LGBT refugees who would like to join our club. The William Way Center has reached out to the Falcons in their search for community partners that can offer a safe space for LGBT refugees to have social and recreational opportunities as they resettle.
Falcons ambassadors will be matched with a refugee who’d like to join the club. Being an ambassador includes:
- Introducing program participants to Falcons activities and events
- Encouraging them to attend
- Offering to meet up with them to attend activities and events, and being a friendly face at Falcons events.
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, please submit an ambassador application.
- Ambassadors must participate in a one hour initial training session this summer at the William Way Community Center, run by HIAS PA staff, to orient them to the program, your role as a volunteer, and the populations the program serves.
- Volunteers must have a current criminal background check (online application HERE)
- Commit to making themselves available to meet with their matched refugee (if assigned) at least 2 times per month during the course of the year.
- Commit to staying in contact with the William Way Community Center for monthly check-ins or more often as needed.
- Based upon the answers on your volunteer application, we may match you with a refugee in the program.
- Volunteer spots will be limited based on the number of refugees who want to play soccer
- A William Way staff member will facilitate and be there with you during your first meeting with your match
- William Way and Falcons will keep a shared calendar with activities and partner events that you can suggest and attend with your match as a resource
- William Way will do monthly check-ins with you and your match (separately) to make sure you have all the resources you need to stay engaged with the volunteer program
- Please fill out our Volunteer Application Form for this program (Be sure to indicate you are a Falcons member)
- A volunteer coordinator from William Way will reach out in the next week to set up a group orientation for the program
- Please feel free to reach out to Jessie, if you have any specific questions regarding the program or the volunteer application.